100% SUSTAINABLE GARDENING
We have answered some of our more popular Frequently Asked Questions on our Wicker Garden Beds, if you can’t find an answer to one of your questions here, please contact us.
What tools may be needed to install my wicking system?
You will likely need the following:
- 22mm Hole Saw or speed bore – to drill the hole for the overflow pipe;
- Jigsaw or Circular Saw – to cut the WaterUps® cells to fit the existing walls of the raised bed
- Filler – suitable to block up any drainage holes in the base if you are retro-fitting an existing standard pot.
- Gaffer Tape – to hold the pond liner and or GeoTec in place while filled with soil mix.
What are the WaterUps® cells made from?
All the PVC raw material used in the manufacture of WaterUps® cells is sourced from recycled plastic. Our philosophy is that if we need to bury plastic underground then let’s make it useful!
Where are WaterUps® manufactured?
WaterUps® cells are manufactured in Australia in western Sydney.
What are the holes in the top of the WaterUps® cells for?
The holes are designed to allow water to drain into the water reservoir so that the soil does not get waterlogged. This is particularly important in cases of heavy rain.
Will the holes in the cells allow soil through to the reservoir?
The holes are designed to allow water to drain through but prevent soil particles from doing so.
To bind the soil and help prevent dry particles of soil failing through the holes in the top of the WaterUps® cells, lightly spray the soil mix and tops of the cells with water before adding the soil to the bed.
How do wicking beds using WaterUps® cells compare to those constructed with scoria or river sand?
- Cost: WaterUps® cells are over 30% cheaper than scoria/river sand;
- Installation: WaterUps® cells are easier and quicker to install;
- Weight: WaterUps® cells weigh approx. 5kgs per square metre compared to up to 250kgs for a scoria or river sand based wicking bed;
- Water Capacity: WaterUps® wicking beds can hold around 50% more water than scoria/river sand beds, which gives a WaterUps® bed a much longer watering time. This means you don’t have to fill your Little Veggie Patch bed as often.
NEED MORE HELP?
If you can’t find an answer to one of your questions here, please contact us.